Monday, May 01, 2006

Kitty Cat Birthdays

Today is Gracie & Oscar's 4th birthday. I can't imagine my life without them.

Miss Gracie curls up on the computer desk every night with me while I work. Sometimes she lays on the desk & goes to sleep. Sometimes she lays in my lap & kneads the air, my face or my body. I cradle her like a human baby & adore her like one too. She's amazing to watch when she's drifting off to the place cats drift off to when they nap. She purrs & drools, a lot. Right now she's sitting up on the desk, dozing. I'm waiting for her to fall over as she falls asleep. But she won't. She'll catch herself right before it happens. She's very entertaining to watch.

Then there's my big man, Oscar. He's a lot more skittish than Miss Gracie & not as cuddly, during the day, that is. At night, it's a totally different story. The minute I get into bed, he hops up on the bed from out of nowhere, makes his way up to my armpit, falls on his side w/a big "thwump" & begins his nightly ritual of kneading my arm & chest & purring himself to sleep. Eventually, he moves to the foot of the bed & will usually stay there until I get up. He sleeps like a brick! I sometimes kick him in the middle of the night & he still doesn't budge.

I can't shower with the bathroom door closed anymore. They don't like being locked out. By the end of my shower, they're both sitting in the bathroom on the toilet seat waiting for me to come out. They start meowing as soon as I turn the water off. Gracie usually will try opening the shower door to get in. It's hilarious to go thru this routine every morning.

When I leave for work in the morning, Gracie bids me farewell by sitting in the dining room window to watch me as I pull out of the garage. I wave goodbye (I know, I know) & I actually believe she knows what that means. Oscar usually retreats to his spot under the bed where he probably stays for a good portion of the day. I don't know. I wish I had a critter cam.

When I come home in the evening, Gracie is right there sitting in the bedroom window, waiting for me. I sometimes wonder if she can sense when that happens. I'm sure she sometimes sits in the window to enjoy the view, but I've heard of instances where animals KNOW when they're owners are on their way home & start behaving differently. I'd be curious to find out exactly when she sits in the window. Again, that critter cam would come in handy right about now. They both then greet me at the door when I walk in. Gracie jumps up on the counter so that she can be somewhat eye-level with me for scritches. Oscar usually falls over w/a "thwump" so that I can give his big belly a big rub.

These lil guys are what make coming home so exciting sometimes & I never tire of it. The unconditional love, security, joy & peace animals provide is what I love about them. You're their world. What a great feeling that is... to know that you mean that much to something in this life.

Happy Birthday kids & thank you for all the joy you've given me these past 4 years.

 

No comments: